These constitute the final events of the process of reproduction. They are as follows:
- After the fertilization stage the parts of the flower other than the ovary are shed off.
- In plants like tomato, peas and brinjal the sepals are found to exist in a shriveled form.
Sepals retained back in a tomato fruit
- After triple fusion, the primary endosperm nucleus develops into an endosperm (the nutritive tissue).
- This endosperm serves as nourishment for the developing embryo.
- After the formation of the endosperm and the zygote, the synergids and antipodal cells degenerate.
- The ovule develops into the seed.
- Ovary grows in size to form fruit.
- The wall of the ovary becomes the wall of the fruit.
- The integuments of the ovule develop into the seed coat.
Structure of fruit and seed
A video explaining the events of post fertilization
Significance of fertilization:
- The process of fertilization stimulates the ovary to develop into a fruit.
- It also leads to the development of new characters from two different organisms.