We know the formation of natural gas, and now we will see its properties and the advantages.
It is the naturally occurring gas and so is called natural gas. This is also termed petrochemicals as many useful products are obtained from natural gas.
Natural gas usages
- They mainly contain hydrocarbons, especially methane and other minor elements such as nitrogen, helium, carbon dioxide, etc.
- They are colourless, odourless, and non-toxic in nature.
- They are lighter than air.
Natural gas is currently used in two forms such as CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) and LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas).
CNG (Compressed Natural Gas):
This is produced by compressing natural gas to less than one per cent of its volume at standard atmospheric pressure. This is stored at high pressure. This is cheap, cleaner fuel and environmentally friendly.
LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas):
This is natural gas in liquid form. This is produced by purifying natural gas and cooling it to . This process is known as liquefaction. This has a high cost for storage and production.
- In the production of ammonia.
- As a domestic fuel.
- It is easy to transport and store.
- Generation of electricity.
- To operate cooling equipment and refrigerators.
- Less pollution compared to coal and petroleum.