Phenol is an organic compound. It is used widely in various fields. The chemical formula for phenol is. There are other names such as monohydroxy benzene, benzenol, or carbolic acid.
The phenolic compound is produced by plants and microorganisms. It also occurs in nature in coal tar (a petroleum product). It is also produced during natural fire under UV radiation. There are many synthetic method of phenol preparation.
Properties of phenol:
- It is a volatile substance.
- It is a white crystalline powder, and it is red in the presence of impurities.
- It causes blisters on the skin.
- It is insoluble in water.
Uses of Phenol:
Precursors for plastics
- It is used as a disinfectant and as a cleansing agent for floors.
- It is used as a starting material for many dyes.
- It is used as precursors for plastics.
- It is used in the preparation of explosives.
- It is used in the pharmaceuticals for preparation of many medicines.