- These are organisms that lack a well-defined nucleus and cell organelles. Hence they are categorized as prokaryotes (Their cells lack a nuclear membrane).
- Though these organisms lack multicellular body designs, they show a wide range of diversity based on many other characteristics.
- This kingdom comprises both organisms whose cells have a cell wall and lack a cell wall.
- The presence and absence of cell walls have very different effects on body design in these organisms than multicellular organisms.
- They comprise both autotrophic and heterotopic organisms. But most of the bacteria a heterotrophic.
Bacteria, mycoplasma and blue-green algae or cyanobacteria.
Monera: Top left - Bacteria; Top right - Blue green algae; Bottom -Mycoplasma
The Kingdom Monera is further classified as Archaea that includes the bacteria which can live in harsh conditions. These organisms lack a cell wall.
As these organisms can live in extreme temperatures, they are also known as Extremophiles and are further classified based on their habitats.
Archea: Top left - Thermophiles; Top right - Methanogen; Bottom - Halophytes
These organisms live in extremely salty water.
These organisms are found in hot springs and volcanoes.
They are found in the guts of animals like cow and sheep. They are involved in the production of methane gas.