When we ask for a direction, people helping us would instruct us to take a right, left or continue straight. But, have you ever wondered what the standard method of giving those instructions ! Directions are always given in terms of four cardinal and four ordinal directions. In other words, in this chapter, we will talk about the cardinal directions and how they are determined.
- On the ground, the directions are always shown with respect to the North.
- Knowing North, it is easy to find other three directions.
- Cardinal directions: North, South, East and West.
- Ordinal directions are: Northeast (NE), Southeast (SE), Southwest (SW), and Northwest (NW). Ordinal directions are also known as intercardinal directions.
Know the direction
- When a person knows in which direction he is facing, it is easy to find out the other three directions.