When we ask for a direction, people helping us would instruct us to take right, left or continue straight. But have you ever wondered what is the standard method of giving those instructions? Always directions are given in terms of four cardinal and four ordinal directions. To keep it simple, in this chapter lets discuss what are the cardinal directions and how they are determined.
- On the ground the directions are always shown with respect to the North.
- Knowing North, it is easy to find other three directions.
- Cardinal directions: North, South, East and West.
- Ordinal directions are: northeast (NE), southeast (SE), southwest (SW), and northwest (NW). Ordinal directions are also known as intercardinal directions.
Know the direction
- When a person knows in which direction he is facing, it is easy to find out the other three directions.