- Three dimensional model of the Earth created with a specific scale is called as Globe.
- The word "globe" is obtained from the Latin word "globus" which means "sphere". The Earth is spherical but, flat at the poles and bulges at the Equator.
- The shape of Earth is very unique.
- It is called a Geoid (earth shaped).
- The Earth moves around the Sun (Revolution).
- On its axis, it rotates itself from the West to East at an inclination of \(23 ½° \)(Rotation).
- Similarly globe is also inclined at an angle of \(23½°\).
A globe is also used to represent celestial spheres which is called a Celestial globe.
|Surface area of the Earth||\(510.1\) million km²|
|Diameter of Earth||\(12,756\)\(km\)|
|Shape of Earth||Geoid|
|Angle of inclination of Earth||\(23 ½°\)|
- The axis is an imaginary line.
- It is not actually found on the Earth.
- The Greeks created the first globe in the year \(150\)\(AD\) (CE).
- The Indian astronomer Aryabhatta in his book ‘Aryabhatta Sidhantha’ has mentioned that ‘The stars in the sky seem to move towards the West because of the Earth’s rotation on its axis’.