The Atlantic Ocean
- The second-largest ocean on the Earth.
- It covers one-sixth of the Earth’s total area.
- It Spreads for about 85.13 million sq.km
|North America and South America||West|
|Europe and Aftrica||East|
Stretch of the Ocean:
|From||Arctic Ocean (North)|
|To||Southern Ocean (South)|
- The shape of the Atlantic Ocean resembles the letter ‘S’.
- It is the busiest shipping route between the Eastern and Western hemispheres.
- Deepest point: the Milwaukee Deep (depth of about 8600 m) in the Puerto Rica Trench
- Marginal seas: The Caribbean Sea, the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, the Gulf of Guinea and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Islands: St. Helena, Newfoundland, Iceland and Falkland.
The Strait of Gibraltar connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Mediterranean Sea.