The Pacific Ocean
- The largest and deepest ocean on the Earth.
- It covers about one-third of the Earth’s total area.
- It spreads for about 168.72 million sq.km.
|Asia and Australia||West|
|North America and South America||East|
Stretch of the Ocean:
|From||The Arctic Ocean (North)|
|To||Southern Ocean (South)|
- It is roughly triangular in Shape.
- Its apex in the north at the Bering Strait which connects the Pacific Ocean with the Arctic Ocean.
- Marginal seas: The Bering Sea, the China Sea, the Sea of Japan, Tasman Sea and the Philippine Sea.
- Islands: Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, Hawaii, New Zealand.
- Deepest point:Mariana Trench (10,994 m deep).
- A chain of volcanoes is located around the Pacific Ocean called the Pacific Ring of Fire.
- The Spanish navigator Ferdinand Magellan named the ocean Pacific.