A diary is a book in which one keeps a daily record of events and experiences.
Diaries are wonderful objects that enable us to discuss the emotions, record dreams or ideas and reflect on daily life in a safe, private space. While there's no single, definitive way to write a diary, there are some basic tricks to be used to get the creative ideas.
The format of writing a diary is simple. It contains the following:
- Date – Specify the date
- Day – Write on what day the diary is being written
- Time – Specify the time on writing the entry
- Salutation (optional) – Address your diary (as in "Dear Diary")
- Content – This is the main part of the diary entry, here write about the day or anything
- Name of the person – The signature of the person can also be added along with the name.
There should be some purpose behind writing a diary. It is helpful to think about the following questions in order to have a clear mind.
- What was the important thing you wanted to talk about?
- Why is it important?
- Do you want to fix something?
- Why does it need to be fixed?
- How do you feel about it?
Addressing the above questions will make the task of writing a diary easier. They would provide a plot for your diary entry and as well will shed a clarity of thought.
Check out following example of a diary entry written by a person named Ram.
I want one of those summers that all the great artists write about in their lyrics. One that has a summer romance and friendships that I will never forget. Filled with memories that warmth my heart just thinking of about them. I'm waiting for the day to come.