Conversation is a type of oral communication between two or more people. Conversation can be casual or formal, depending on the context.
Ravi: Hi! How are you?
Mridula: Hello, Ravi. I'm fine. How about you?
Ravi: I'm fine too. Are you coming to the school event tomorrow?
Mridula: Yes, I'm coming.
Ravi: Ok, I'll see you there. Bye!
One must remember the following points while writing a conversation.
- Involves natural construction of sentences.
- Usage of dramatic expressions like Hi! Wow! etc.
- Consideration of each other's point of view.
- Arrange ideas in a logical sequence.
- Imagine what would be the response of the other person.
- Maintain continuity and spontaneity in the dialogue.
- Give equal dialogues to all characters.
- Make it real by adding interruptions - for example: stopping the other person's dialogue midway.
- Give attention to the opening and closing sentences - it must be appropriate with a greeting and a closure.
- The conversation can be casual - but grammar is very important even in casual tones.
Sample of a conversation between Ravi, Helen and Priya. They are planning for a surprise birthday party for their friend Abi. Develop the conversation covering the following points:
- Venue of the party
- Time of the party
- Invitees to the party
- Expenses to be shared
Ravi: Hello, Helen and Priya. We should plan for Abi's birthday party on the 23rd of this month.
Priya: Yes, Ravi! I totally forgot about it!
Helen: We can have the party at my house, my parents have agreed for it. Evening we all can go to my house after school on 23rd.
Ravi: Thank you, Helen. We will buy a cake and chips for the party it will cost us about 600 rupees.
Priya: We already have the amount from the savings we have made from our sales in the carnival. We can use that money.
Helen: That's a great idea.
Ravi: Should we invite anyone else?
Priya: Yes, Arun, Mani and Bala will also join.
Helen: Ok, then, the plan is confirmed.
Ravi: I'll order the cake today itself.
Priya: I'll order the chips packets.
Helen: I'll inform the other friends and make arrangements in my house.
Ravi: Thank you guys, let's make the party a great success!