What are prepositions?
Prepositions are words that connect a noun/pronoun to verbs and adjectives in a sentence. Prepositions can be classified based on functionality.
It is classified as:
- Prepositions of time
- Prepositions of place
- Prepositions of position
- Phrasal prepositions
Let us study prepositions of time in detail:
Prepositions of time refers to prepositions that tell about the time of the occurrence of a particular event. It includes on, at, since, ago, until, for, during, etc.
1. I was waiting for my teacher.
2. I was born on 23rd September 2010.
3. Sheela was born in 1942.
4. The courier came at sharp 4 PM.
5. Ravi finished his homework before Ramesh.
6. I will reach home after 10 PM.
7. Since 2015, I have been working in this company.
8. I have known my friend Simi for eight years.
9. I had bread toast in the morning.
10. Within minutes, the rain started pouring heavily.
11. I gave my father a letter for remembrance until we meet next time.
12. During my summer vacation, I go to my grandparents house in Thanjavur.
The basic "prepositions of time" used generally are:
Other prepositions of time includes "since, within, ago, until, for, during" etc.
Prepositions of time used in the lesson:
- In the summer, he always visits his grandparents in Nagathi, a river island in Thanjavur District.
- My mother has instructed me not to roam in sunlight.
- You should use it in the presence of adults.
- We should first look right, left and then again right before we cross the road.
- Can we put on sunscreen before going out in the sun?
- Yes, you need to put on the Sunscreen 15 to 20 minutes before going out to avoid Sunburn.
- We should learn to put things back in their respective places after using them.