The mechanism of breathing can be understood by a simple model.
1. Plastic bottle - 1
2. Balloons - 3
3. Y shaped tube - 1
- Take a wide plastic bottle and make an incision in the middle of the bottle.
- Use some tools to make a hole in the cork and fix the one end of the Y shaped tube.
- To the forked end of the tube fix two deflated balloons.
- Introduce the tube into the bottle and seal it to make it air tight.
- Seal the open base of the bottle with the help of a thin rubber of plastic sheet with the help of a large rubber band.
Construction of lung model
- To understand the working mechanism of lungs hold the large, bottom balloon and pull it downwards slowly.
- Now push the rubber/plastic sheet up and observe the balloons.
From this model we can conclude that when we pull down the balloons inflate and deflate, due to pressure inside the bottle similar to the lungs.
On comparing this model with our respiratory system we can infer that the balloons represent the lungs, the bottle represents the thorax and the rubber sheet represents the diaphragm.
The comparison of bottle lung model with human respiratory system:
Bottle lung model
|This cavity filled with pleural fluid||Bottle filled with air|
|Trachea is flexible||Y-shaped tube is rigid|
|Diaphragm flattens||Balloon drawn downwards|
|Lungs made of alveoli||Balloons empty|
|Ribs moves and changes the thoracic cavity volume|
Bottle does not move