Rain is an important factor which gives happiness to everyone. Farmers depend on the rain for the harvests in our country.
Farmers working in the field
But sometimes the rain may create some problems. There are some natural disasters that pose a great threat to humans, animals and plant life. The situations that lead to those natural disasters are thunderstorms and cyclones.
When the wind blows at a low speed in a gentle manner, it is called a breeze. But, when the wind blows violently at high speed, then it is called a storm. A storm is a low-pressure system.
A gentle breeze
Storm in the coastal area
Thunderstorms are common in a place like India since it lies in the hot, humid tropical region. Since the temperature is high, strong winds are produced in the upward direction. These rising winds carry water droplets along with them, which eventually freezes and falls as rain.
Lightning and sound produced by this rapid movement of falling droplets along with the rising air are known as thunderstorms. In general, when a storm is accompanied by lightning, it is called a thunderstorm.
A thunderstorm requires moisture and rising warm air to occur.
Lightning is a giant electric spark which occurs between two clouds or between the cloud and the ground.
A lightning bolt
A lightning bolt can travel at a speed of more than \(400,000\) \(km\)\(/h\). It can even increase the surrounding air temperature to more than four times the surface temperature of the sun. It may damage the buildings and can even harm the living things like plants, animals, and humans. Hence, the lightning is very dangerous.
Damage caused by lightning
There are several precautionary methods that are to be taken during thunderstorms.
In an open area:
In a closed area:
- If it is in an open area or outside the house, one should not stand under an isolated tree.
- If it is a forest area, one can shelter under a small tree. It is very important that one should never lie on the ground.
- One should not use an umbrella with a metallic end, as metal conducts electricity.
- It is not safe to sit near a window, and also, open garages, storage sheds, or metal sheds should not be preferred as shelters.
- One can take shelter inside a car or a bus without touching the doors or any metal objects.
- A person in water should immediately get out of it and move inside a building.
- One should not operate any electrical devices.
- One should avoid using electrical switches. It is always better to remove the plugs of the electrical devices.