Air has various properties. Some of them are:
- It occupies space
- It has no colour
- It is transparent
- It dissolves in water
- It is tasteless and odourless
- It can even be compressed
Empty bottle experiment:
Even empty bottles and containers are filled with air, although they look empty. Let us demonstrate the presence of the air by a simple experiment.
An empty bottle dipped into the water
- A large bowl is filled with water.
- Now, the open mouth of an empty bottle is dipped into the water-filled bowl.
- In the inverted position of the bottle, water does not enter the bottle due to the presence of air.
- Air cannot escape out of the bottle since there is no space inside. Air prevents the water from entering the bottle.
- When the bottle is tilted sideways, the air present inside the bottle goes out in the form of bubbles.
- Now, the water enters the bottle by occupying the space inside.
It is observed that even an empty bottle is filled with air, though it looks empty to our naked eyes. This experiment shows that the air occupies space, and it is present everywhere around us.