Merits of Atomic Theory:
- Dalton's atomic theory explains the majority of the properties of gases and liquids.
- It explains the chemical composition law and the law of conservation of mass.
- This theory aids in the identification of molecular changes between elements and compounds.
Drawbacks of Atomic Theory:
- The atom is no longer thought to be the tiniest indivisible particle.
Divisible fruit (similarly atom also divisible into proton, electron and neutron.)
- Atoms of the same element have different masses (Isotopes).
- Different elements' atoms can have the same mass. (Isobars).
- The properties of substances made up of the same type of atoms can vary.
(Coal, Graphite and Diamond are consists of carbon, but they have different properties)