Some of the uses of magnets in various fields are listed below.
- Magnetic conveyor belts are used in industries to separate magnetic materials from scraps or junks mixed with non-magnetic materials.
Magnetic conveyor belt
- Magnets are so strong that it is used to lift heavy loads. In a junkyard, a crane attached to a magnet is used to carry heavy metal loads. It also helps to separate magnetic materials from the junk.
- In machines, magnets are used in computer storage devices such as hard discs.
Computer storage device
- The magnets help the computers in banks to read the MICR numbers written on a cheque.
- Magstripe is a magnetic strip found on the back of a credit or debit card. This magstripe is a thin plastic film made up of tiny iron-based magnetic particles. Each particle that measures about \(20\ millionths\ of\ an\ inch\) in length is a very small bar magnet.
3. Medical field:
Magnetic Resonance Imaging, also known as MRI, is a method used in hospitals to scan a particular internal organ in our body. These MRI machines make use of a powerful electromagnet for scanning.
4. Other uses:
- The screw drivers' tips are mildly magnetic to hold the screws to the tip.
Magnetic screw driver
- Even children's play toys and dolls have magnets in them.
- The other simple things which use magnets are bags, pencil boxes, stickers on refrigerators, pin holders, and phone covers.
From clockwise direction: Small magnets in bag, stickers on refrigerator, pin holders, and phone covers.