PDF assessments TRY NOW

The human body:
A dry human body has a resistance of around \(1,00,000\ ohm\). The resistance of our body is lowered to a few hundred ohms due to the presence of water. As a result, the human body becomes an excellent conductor of electricity.
Electric shock
Carelessness while handling electric devices can cause severe injuries. An electric shock may even lead to death. Hence, safety precautions must be taken while performing electrical work.
Precautions to be taken:
The following are some of the potential dangers associated with electric current.
1. Damaged insulation:
Do not make contact with the bare or naked wire. While handling electricity, wear safety goggles and stand on an insulating stool or rubber shoes.
Usage of rubber gloves
Electricians wear rubber gloves to avoid electric shock while repairing electric switches. They also use screwdrivers and testers made of wood or hard plastics.
2. Overload of power sockets:
Connecting too many electrical gadgets to a single electrical outlet might be dangerous. Hence, avoid overloading on a single socket.
Overloading of plugs
3. Inappropriate use of electrical appliances:
Always utilise electrical appliances in accordance with their power ratings, such as air-conditioner points, TV points, microwave oven points, etc.
4. An environment with moisture and dampness:
Keep moisture and wetness away from the area where the electricity is used, as this might lead to electric current leakage.
Holding a plug with wet hand
5. Beyond the reach of children:
Electrical sockets should be kept out of reach of small children since they are unaware of the risks of electricity.
Little boy holding a socket