Swine flu virus was originated from pigs. The disease spread through pig populations. Since, swine flu disease-causing virus originated from pigs it is named as swine flu (swine means pig). The weakened immune system in a person's body leads to a high-risk of infection of swine flu. It is an acute respiratory virus which is contagious and spreads through the air. Swine flu disease is caused by a virus that majorly affects pigs and has started infecting humans as well.
Organs affected: H1N1 swine flu virus mainly infects the respiratory system of our body.
Causative agent: Influenza virus H1N1 has been identified as the cause of this disease.
Influenza virus H1N1
How it spreads: It is transmitted from person to person by inhalation or ingestion of droplets containing viruses from sneezing or coughing.
G4 swine flu virus (G4 EA H1N1) , H1N1 structure and G4 swine flu virus feature
- Nasal secretion
- Sore throat
- Rashes in the body
- Body ache or pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Shortness of breath
Prevention and Control:
- Administration of nasal spray vaccine.The nasal spray flu vaccine contains weakened (attenuated) viruses that do not to cause flu illness.
- Avoid close contact with a person suffering from the infection.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth.
- Try to cover the nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough and sneeze.
- Wash the hands thoroughly often with soap and running water or alcohol-based sanitiser, after the sneezing and coughing.
- Keep all the surfaces should be clean to prevent the spread of infection.
- If a person is infected by flu, you should recommend them to stay home.
- Intake of plenty of water and fruit juices will help to prevent dehydration.
- Plenty of rest will help the immune system to fight against the infectious agents.
- Practice good hygiene.
Swine flu first surfaced in April \(2009\). It affected millions of people, and then in June \(2009\), it was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO). In \(2015\), \(31,000\) people were infected in India resulting in \(1900 \)death. There was a small outbreak in the Maldives in early \(2017\). Swine flu spread to more than twenty countries across the World. World Health Organisation had then assigned pandemic alert level \(5\) to swine flu. This level indicates that human to human outbreak of swine flu is high.