- Formed: about \(4.5\) billion years ago
- The solar system is a gravitationally bound system.
- Main Members: The Sun & The eight planets
- Other Members: Dwarf planets, Satellites, Comets, Asteroids and Meteoroids.
- It is a star.
- It is located in the centre of the Solar system.
- Members of the Solar system revolve around the sun.
- It accounts for \(99.8% \)of the mass of the Solar system.
- It is made up of extremely hot gases like Hydrogen and Helium.
Human beings have sent spacecraft to all of the planets in our solar system.
- It gives light on its own, i.e. self-luminous.
- Surface temperature: about \(6,000\)° C.
- It is the source of light and heat energy to the entire Solar system.
Time taken for sunlight to reach earth is \(8.3\) minutes.
Planets of the Solar system
- Total number of planets: \(8\)
- All planets rotate west to east except Venus and Uranus (rotates east to west).
- Orbit is the elliptical path in which the planets move around the Sun.
- Planets revolve around the Sun due to gravitational pull of Sun.
Easy to remember:
For Terrestrial Planets: My Very Educated Mother - Mercury Venus Earth Mars
For Jovian Planets: Just Served Us Noodles - Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune