Features of a formal letter:
1. A formal letter is written for official purpose.
2. The tone of the letter is serious.z
3. It covers letter to business proposals, educational institutions etc.
4. It should be crisp, clear - avoid unnecessary details.
5. It should be strictly in accordance with the given format.
6. Use of colloquial words, abbreviations and slang language should be restricted while writing a formal letter.
7. The subject line is very important in a formal letter.
The Format of a Formal Letter is as follows :
1. Sender’s address: The address and contact details of the sender are written here. Include an email and phone number, if required or if mentioned in the question.
2. Date: The date is written below the sender’s address after Leaving one space or line.
3. Receiver’s address: The address of the recipient of the mail (the officer/principal / Editor) is written here.
4. The subject of the letter: The main purpose of the letterforms the subject. It must be written in one line. It must convey the matter for which the letter is written.
5. Salutation (Sir / Respected Sir / Madam)
6. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows -
Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
Paragraph 2: Give detail of the matter.
Paragraph 3: Conclude by mentioning what you expect. (For example, a solution to your problem, to highlight an issue in the newspaper, etc).
7. Complimentary Closing/ Subscription.
8. Sender’s name, signature and designation (if any).
Ms Deepa, an NGO, writes a letter to the wholesale book shop dealer, placing an order for 100 copies of medium-size English Oxford Dictionary.
|Ms. Deepa, |
NGO (Nallam Trust),
13 May 2019
NIZHAL BOOK SHOP,
Chennai – 600 001.
Sir / Madam,
Subject: Order for English Oxford Dictionaries – Reg.
On reading the discount provided by your shop in the advertisement of yesterday’s
newspaper, I would like to place an order for 100 copies of medium-sized English Oxford
Dictionary in your shop. I need the copies within a week. So, let me know the estimation
for the bulk order placed, as early as possible.