An acrostic poem is where the first letter of each word of each line spell out a phrase or a word. The word can be a name, place, animal, thing, phrase etc. Children usually try acrostic poems with names of their friends.
An acrostic poem is a simple, fun type of poetry. The rules are simple, and there are no poetic constraints.
Rules of acrostic poems:
- The first letter of each line should spell the word.
- The first letter of each line is capitalized; this makes it easier to read the word vertically down.
- No need of rhyme; rhyming words are not required in this type of poem.
- Length of the lines can be small or long (even one-word sentence is allowed).
- It is good to know a list of describing words to write the poem well.
Acrostic poem about FUN:
Friends get together for
Unlimited fun, every
Now and then!
Some more acrostic poems:
1. ICE CREAM:
Almonds, it is
Lovely room, filled with
Students, who are
Obedient to teachers; hopefully
Manageable by teachers!