"Crossing the river" has been written by Manoj Das.
Manoj Das is an Indian author born in the year \(1934\), in Orissa. He writes in English and Odia. He started writing and publishing at a tender age:
- His first publication was Satavdira Artanada - a poetry collection in Odia - at the age of \(15\).
- He started a literary magazine - at the age of \(16\).
- He wrote a collection of short stories - Samudrara Kshudha - at the age of \(17\).
He was into youth politics (when he was young), went on to write many novels, short stories, then became a columnist in India's leading newspapers like The Times of India, The Hindustan Times, The Hindu etc. He has also been the editor of a cultural magazine named "The Heritage" (1985-1989). He is well-versed in both Odia and English. He is known as the master of dramatic expressions in both the languages.
He was constantly in search of answers for mysticism (becoming one with God). He joined the Aurobindo Ashram in the year \(1963\) and has been living there till date. He currently teaches English Literature at Sri Aurobindo International University.
Awards and Recognitions:
- Padma Shri - 2000
- Padma Bhushan - 2020
- Sahitya Akademi Fellowship - 2006
- Odisha Sahitya Academy Award - 1965, 1987
- Veda Vyas Samman
- Saraswati Samman, 2000
- NTR Literary Award, 2013
*Image courtesy: ttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Manoj_Das_Odia_Author.jpg