In the previous theories, we have seen cereals and pulses that are used as food. Cereals and pulses can be consumed as sprouts which have high nutritional value.
What are sprouts?
When a seed begins to grow or germinate, it develops tiny roots. These tiny white structures are called sprouts. Sprouting is the process of growing sprouts from seeds.
Let us now see the method to prepare sprouts from moong or chickpeas (chana).
To prepare sprouts from seed like moong or chana.
A small cup of green gram or chana, water, and thin muslin cloth.
1. Put a small quantity of the seeds (moong or chana) in a container filled with water. Leave it aside for a day.
2. Next day, completely drain the water and leave the seeds in the vessel.
3. Wrap the vessel with a piece of thin muslin cloth and set it aside for a day or two.
4. Sprinkle water whenever the seeds look dry.
A white structure may have grown from the seed. This is called sprout.
The sprouts grown are low in calories, has vitamin B and fibre. It also contains a high amount of Vitamin C and K. Sprouts, when stored in the refrigerator, can be kept for a few days to a week.
They can be used in different foods that include salads, soups, pasta, noodles, porridge and even baked products.
Sprouts can be eaten raw after washing the sprouted seeds or can be boiled. When we add spices to the boiled sprouts, we can get a tasty snack.
Let us now see a recipe for vegetable salad with sprouts:
- A small cup of sprouts (moong or chana)
- \(1/2\) cup cucumber
- \(1\) carrot
- \(1/2\) onion
- \(1\) tomato
- \(1\) green chilli or a pinch of pepper powder
- A pinch of salt
- \(1\) tablespoon of lemon juice
- Mint leaves or coriander leaves to garnish.
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly under running water, wipe them dry.
- Peel the vegetables and chop them into bite-size pieces.
- Add all the vegetables to a bowl.
- Add the washed sprouts into the bowl.
- Now add the green chilli or a pinch of pepper powder and \(1\) tablespoon of lemon juice to the bowl containing sprouts and vegetables.
- Finally, a pinch of salt, mix it well and garnish with mint or coriander leaves.
Vegetable salad with sprouts