Facts about the Pacific:
- The largest and deepest ocean on the Earth.
- It covers about one-third of the Earth’s total area.
- It spreads for about \(168.72\) million sq.km.
Location of Pacific ocean on the Globe.
|West||Asia and Australia|
|East||North America and South America|
Stretch of the Ocean:
|North||The Arctic Ocean|
- It is roughly triangular in shape.
- It has its apex in the north at the Bering Strait which connects the Pacific Ocean with the Arctic Ocean.
- Marginal seas: Bering Sea, China Sea, Sea of Japan, Tasman Sea and Philippine Sea.
- Important Islands: Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, Hawaii and New Zealand.
- Deepest point: Mariana Trench is \(10,994\) meters deep.
- A chain of volcanoes is located around the Pacific Ocean called the Pacific Ring of Fire.
The Spanish navigator Ferdinand Magellan named the ocean as Pacific, meaning calm or tranquil.