Facts about the Atlantic:
- The second largest ocean on the Earth.
- It covers one-sixth of the Earth’s total area.
- It spreads for about \(85.13\) million sq.km
Location of Atlantic ocean on the Globe.
|West||North America and South America|
|East||Europe and Africa|
Stretch of the Ocean:
- The shape of the Atlantic Ocean resembles the letter ‘S’.
- It is the busiest shipping route between the Eastern and Western hemispheres.
- Deepest point: the Milwaukee Deep (depth of about 8600 m) in Puerto Rica Trench
- Marginal seas: The Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, North Sea, Gulf of Guinea and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Important Islands: St. Helena, Newfoundland, Iceland and Falkland.
The Strait of Gibraltar connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Mediterranean Sea.