Facts about Indian ocean:
- The third-largest ocean on the Earth’s surface.
- Area covered:\(70.56\) million sq.km.
- It is named after India.
- Indian ocean is triangular in shape.
Location of Indian ocean on the Globe.
- Important islands: The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Mauritius and the Reunion Islands.
- Marginal seas: The Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf and the Red Sea.
- Deepest point: The Java trench, which is \(7,725\) meters deep.
1. Malacca strait connects the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean.
2. Palk Strait connects the Bay of Bengal and Palk Bay.
Channels in Indian ocean:
|\(6°\)Channel||Indira Point and Indonesia|
|\(8°\)Channel||Maldives and Minicoy islands|
|\(9°\)Channel||Lakshadweep Islands and Minicoy islands|
|\(10°\)Channel||Andaman and Nicobar Islands|