In the previous theories, we have seen the different minerals and vitamins. Now, we will see how cereals and pulses can be consumed as sprouts that have a high nutritional value.
What are sprouts?
When the seeds begin to grow or germinate, it develops tiny roots. These tiny white structures are called sprouts. Sprouting is the process of growing sprouts from seeds.
To prepare sprouts from seed like moong or chana:
A small cup of green gram or chana, water, and thin cloth made of muslin.
1. Put a small quantity of seeds in a container filled with water and leave this aside for a day.
2. Next day, drain the water completely and leave the seeds in the vessel.
3. Wrap them with a piece of thin muslin cloth and set them aside for a day or two.
4. Sprinkle water whenever it is dry.
A white structure may have grown out of the seeds called sprouts.
The sprouts grown are low in calories has vitamin B and fibre. It also contains a high amount of Vitamin C and K. We can store sprouts in the refrigerator for a few days to a week.
They can be used in different foods, including salads, soups, pasta, noodles, porridge and even baked products.
Sprouts can be eaten raw after washing the sprouted seeds or can be boiled. When we add spices to the boiled sprouts, we get a tasty snack.
Let us now see a recipe for a vegetable salad with sprouts:
1. A small cup of sprouts (moong or chana)
2. \(1/2\) cup cucumber
3. \(1\) carrot
4. \(1/2\) onion
5. \(1\) tomato
6. \(1\) green chilli or a pinch of pepper powder
7. A pinch of salt
8. \(1\) tablespoon of lemon juice
9. Mint leaves, or coriander leaves to garnish.
Vegetable salad with sprouts