The Alpine Mountain System
- It consists of a chain of young fold mountains.
- It is found in the southern part of Europe.
- Important mountain ranges: The Sierra Nevada, the Pyrenees, the Alps, the Apennines, the Dinaric Alps, the Caucasus and the Carpathian.
- The Pyrenees forms a natural boundary between Spain and France.
The highest peak in Europe: Mt. Elburz (\(5645 m\)) in the Caucasus range
Second highest peak in Alpine system: Mont Blanc (\(4,807 m\)) in the Alps
- There are several active volcanoes found in the Alpine mountain system.
- Important volcanoes in Europe: Mt. Etna, Mt. Vesuvius and Mt. Stromboli
- Earthquakes are common in this region.
- Lighthouse of the Mediterranean: Mt. Stromboli